There are plenty of sweet childhood memories of all, especially of a weekly routine of head massage with coconut oil. That used to be the time when moms or grand-moms shared stories while massaging our heads with coconut oil. What a gesture of love and care it was! The legacy carries on in most Indian homes where the humble coconut oil is always handy for a relaxing head massage.
Traditional Ayurveda recommends usage of this oil as a cooling and calming oil with nourishing properties. A lot many dermatologists today recommend usage of coconut oil as a natural remedy for skin and hair concerns. Coconut oil is an edible oil that is extracted from the kernel or meat of matured coconuts. Coconut oil has natural, chemical-free, antibacterial, and antifungal properties, which makes it a great choice for cleaning face and nourishing hair.
However, we must point out that Coconut oil is not suited for facial skin application if you are acne prone. The comedogenic rating of coconut oil is 4, which means its application can clog the pores on the skin. That said, it is a simple, yet, wonderful skin & hair care must have at home.
Benefits of coconut oil for skin
- Coconut oil contains a combination of natural fats, which makes it effective in treating psoriasis, eczema, and other skin conditions.
- It can be used as a natural sunscreen and a remedy for burns and wounds.
- It moisturises dry skin and keeps it hydrated.
- Coconut oil can be used for removing make-up from the face and eyes.
- It can be used as a lip balm or eye cream to fight the dryness and dullness.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties help fight the signs of ageing.
- Coconut oil can be used for body massage as it is skin-friendly.
- It can be applied on hands, feet, and cuticles to treat cracked skin and brittle nails.
Benefits of coconut oil for hair
- Applying coconut oil to your hair before the hair wash gives deep conditioning. It prevents the loss of protein from the hair.
- It removes frizz from the hair and makes it smooth and soft.
- Coconut oil helps reduce split ends and add shine to the hair.
- Applying warm coconut oil to the scalp helps reduce dandruff and hair-fall.
- It improves hair growth and texture.
- It makes hair more manageable, strong, and healthy.
Coconut oil is an important part of the skin and hair care routine for many. The antioxidants and fatty acids present in it add glow to your skin and shine to your hair. Explore the benefits of virgin coconut oil from VILASA which is cold pressed and single origin. Add this humble, yet multi-tasking oil to your self-care shelf and plan a relaxing routine for yourself.