“Kala Chana” anyone? Maybe better known in Indian households jokingly as “ghodon ka khaana (horse food)?” An omnipresent ritual of feeding the horse in North Indian weddings before the “baraat” starts moving - all of us have been witness to this right?
While we are all well aware about the protein, iron & calcium nutrition benefits of black gram; did we ever think about the extremely strong & potent benefits of this kitchen ingredient for the skin? The Vedic text Charak Samhita mentions several ayurvedic healing benefits of black gram. In ancient India, it was used to treat infected and non-infected open wounds by creating a paste of black gram in combination with herbs. Its decoction has also been used to treat skin-related issues for centuries.
Such is the strength, versatility, and healing supremacy of black gram that it can rebuild damaged skin cells to restore a bright, young-looking complexion.
Properties of Black Gram
Black gram is a powerhouse of super nutritious components for the skin and body alike. Its oil is extracted using traditional oil extraction techniques. Rich in protein, Vitamin B-complex, magnesium, zinc, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, copper, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin, it plays a curative function when applied to the skin and hair.
It reduces melanin production by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase. Thus, it diminishes hyperpigmentation of the skin and stimulates brightening of the skin.
Benefits of Black Gram oil on the skin
- Antibacterial properties of black gram help in the regeneration of the skin.
- It lightens scars and maintains blemish-free skin.
- Black gram helps reduce wrinkles by retaining the skin’s moisture content.
- Black gram functions as a natural bleaching agent and brightens the skin tone.
- It makes the skin soft and supple by removing dirt and dead skin cells.
- Black gram oil reduces melanin production by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase.
Benefits of Black Gram oil on hair
- The application of black gram oil helps ward off lice from the scalp.
- It also promotes the strengthening and lengthening of hair.
- It keeps hair black and also helps manage dandruff.