The Lodh tree, also known as Symplocos racemosa, is a large evergreen tree that is native to India and Southeast Asia. For centuries, the bark of the Lodh tree has been used in traditional medicine to treat a variety of health issues, including skin and hair problems. This tree is particularly unique due to its bark, which has been used for centuries in traditional medicine and even in the production of paper.
The bark of the Lodh tree is thick and rough, with a dark brown colour that is almost black in some specimens. The bark is rich in tannins, which give it its distinctive colour and also make it a useful astringent. In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, the bark of the Lodh tree is used to treat a wide range of ailments, including diarrhoea, dysentery, and skin conditions.
Lodh Tree Bark and Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, Lodh tree bark has a bitter and astringent taste and a cooling effect on the body. It is believed to have a balancing effect on the three doshas namely Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. The bark is also said to have anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties.
In Ayurveda, Lodh tree bark is often used in the treatment of skin and hair problems, such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, dandruff, and hair loss. It is also used to treat menstrual disorders, digestive issues, and respiratory problems, among other health issues.
Lodh tree bark is often prescribed in Ayurveda as part of a larger treatment plan, which may include dietary changes, herbal remedies, and lifestyle modifications. Ayurvedic practitioners may also recommend external applications of Lodh tree bark paste or oil or the use of herbal formulations that contain Lodh tree bark as an ingredient.
Skin Benefits of Lodh Tree Bark
Here are some of the benefits of Lodh tree bark for the skin:
- Treats Acne: The astringent properties of Lodh tree bark help to tighten the skin pores, control sebum production and prevent bacterial growth, thereby reducing acne breakouts.
- Soothes Eczema and Psoriasis: The anti-inflammatory properties of Lodh tree bark help to soothe irritated skin, reduce inflammation, and relieve the symptoms of eczema and psoriasis.
- Reduces Skin Pigmentation: The astringent properties of Lodh tree bark help to lighten the skin tone and reduce pigmentation, making it a useful natural remedy for hyperpigmentation and age spots.
- Soothes Sunburns: The anti-inflammatory properties of Lodh tree bark help to soothe sunburnt skin and reduce redness and inflammation.
- Prevents Premature Aging: The antioxidant properties of Lodh tree bark help to protect the skin from free radicals and oxidative stress, which can cause premature ageing, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Improves Skin Texture: Lodh tree bark helps to improve the texture of the skin by exfoliating dead skin cells, unclogging pores, and promoting healthy cell regeneration.
- Moisturizes Skin: Lodh tree bark has natural emollient properties that help to hydrate and moisturize the skin, making it soft, supple, and smooth.
Vilasa’s Earth Purifying Mask is the perfect formulation for those therapeutic self-care days of elaborate skincare routines. It is created with Lodh Tree bark that provides nourishment to the skin while reducing the appearance of blemishes and wrinkles.
How is Lodh Tree Bark Beneficial for Hair Problems?
Here are some of the benefits of Lodh tree bark for hair:
- Promotes Hair Growth: The astringent properties of Lodh tree bark help to tighten the hair follicles, promoting hair growth and preventing hair fall.
- Controls Dandruff: The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of Lodh tree bark help to control dandruff and other scalp infections, which can cause hair fall.
- Strengthens Hair: The natural emollient properties of Lodh tree bark help to hydrate and strengthen the hair, making it less prone to breakage and damage.
- Reduces Scalp Itching: The anti-inflammatory properties of Lodh tree bark help to soothe an itchy and irritated scalp, reducing inflammation and discomfort.
- Improves Scalp Health: Lodh tree bark helps to improve the overall health of the scalp by improving blood circulation, unclogging hair follicles, and providing essential nutrients to the hair roots.
- Conditions Hair: The emollient properties of Lodh tree bark help to condition the hair, making it soft, shiny, and more manageable.
- Prevents Premature Greying: The antioxidant properties of Lodh tree bark help to protect the hair from free radicals and oxidative stress, which can cause premature greying of hair.
Diys with Lodh Tree Bark
One way to use Lodh tree bark for skin and hair problems is by making a paste from the powdered bark. Simply mix the powder with a small amount of water or rosewater to create a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area of the skin or to the scalp and hair, and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing off.
Lodh tree bark can also be infused into oils or incorporated into natural skin and hair care products. It is important to note that while Lodh tree bark is generally safe to use, it is always best to test a small patch of skin before applying it more widely, to ensure that there are no adverse reactions.
In conclusion, the Lodh tree bark is a versatile and effective natural remedy for a range of skin and hair problems. Its astringent and anti-inflammatory properties make it a valuable ingredient in many natural skin and hair care products. By harnessing the power of this ancient remedy, we can promote healthier, happier skin and hair.